[at-l] outfitters

Another good AT outfitter:

Kent, CT:  Don't remember the name of the store but I went in there ready to
by a pair of tips for my Leki's.  The guy took one look at my poles,
replaced a pole segment and two tips while I was standing there with my
parents who were mostly slackjawed.   He said he would just let Leki know
what he replaced for free and they would send him replacements.

Getting the bigger outfitters to do that on or off the trail can be  like
pulling teeth - even when you tell them to just tell Leki that they were for
thruhikers.

As for Boston area outfitters:

REI in Reading for the best service and perhaps most workers with relevant
experience.  Caters to both hikers and in-town crowd.

REI in Framingham - my experiences there haven't been so hot.

EMS in Boston and other area stores - good service, especially if you know
what you want and are looking for.  Be persistant and you can probably find
a knowledgable worker.

Wilderness House - unlike REI and EMS, they do not cater to the in-town
crowd and concentrate on more technical stuff.

Hilton's Tent City - horrible return policy (none?) and terrible service but
the finds you can make there are pretty incredible.  Worth a look if you
know what you want and what a good deal is.  Especially for goods with
manufacturers that will deal with service issues directly.

Chinook (Somerville) - may be good fleece resource.

Wild Women (Arlington) - still doesn't realize that some women are taller
than 5'8"  :-) but a good resource otherwise

In the White Mountains area (N. Conway/Intervale area):

Can't beat Ragged Mountain outfitters.  Once again, they do not cater to the
in-town crowd.

IME caters more to the technical climbing crowd.  The owner's been up
Everest at least once.

EMS is pretty good up there, too.

Limmer is in the area.  Their consignment shelves could yield a deal on
excellent (though heavy) boots.

Random other outlets could yeild useful gear including LL Bean, Chuck Roast,
and more.

(other places in the Whites)

Don't know the names but there are a few places in the Lincoln area with
varying degrees of service and knowledge and one place in Gorham that may or
may not have just what you need.

The nice things about these White Mountains area outfitters is that if they
do not have what you need, at least some of them willingly call the others
to find out if it's available elsewhere - even to unaffiliated stores.

I know there are other but these are the ones that I'm most familiar with...

Mara
Stitches, GAME99