[at-l] Slides

At 11:23 AM 2/4/01 -0500, mtn0613@mail.newnanutilities.org wrote:
>James, my last post got the axe at the end of it, so I am re-posting it.
>
>Guess I should explain my reason for carrying the Cannon and not my point
>and shoot (Nikon Lite Touch Zoom 80 AF). I was just not happy with the
>photos when I got them back. The Nikon is a nice camera and I do like it,
>but you have to admit it has its limitations. As I get older the photos
>are becoming more important to me, no I don't plan on selling them or am
>I  thinking of turning pro, Its just a hobby and a way I can capture what
>I truly love about the AT. The Cannon provides me the opportunity to use
>the longer lenses, when standing on a ridge at say 3000 to 5000 ft and I
>see a small farm or homestead in the valley below I can take a better
>photo to view later. With the Nikon and the same shot I would get the
>photo back and say to myself, what the heck was I thinking when I took
>this photo :)
For me the only reasons to carry an SLR are 1) lens choice, I can put on a
zoom lens with greater range than is available on P&S cameras and 2)
accessories such as filters, sun shades etc. I don't use filters a lot for
color but 2 I like are polarizers and 81B. A polarizer cuts haze and
reflections and the 81 filters warm the light on overcast days. 81 filters
are a faint pinkish-orange. they come in A, B or C with A being the
faintest and C being the most intense. They're especially good for skin
tones or autumn leaves when the sky is cloudy and grey. A sun shade helps
prevent lens flare but a hat or your hand held to cast a shadow on the lens
will work too.

>So far this is what I carried on my first shake down hike with the new
>camera, this includes the camera, lens, uv filter, polarizer filter, 5
>rolls color slide film, mini tri-pod ( it will attach to one of my Lekis
>with a Velcro strap) for a total of 2 lb 6 oz. I can live with this, its
>not too much weight for section hiking.
I have one of those tripods somewhere (I put it away one fall and forgot
where). Campmore sells them. They're very handy.

>I will look into the Tarmons you mentioned above, maybe I can hold off for
>awhile and save up for one, I really don't want to add another lens if I
>don't have to. Also, I will look for Kens book.
The book is available though ATC (at a discount if you are a member) or you
can order direct from Ken. If you don't still have the address from the
'cat on the pack' thread, email me off-list and I'll send it to you. He
charges full price but autographs it for you and pays the postage. It is
not a photo instruction book. He really doesn't talk much about the taking
of photos. He does list his equipment in back and the photos are great
examples of what can be done with limited equipment. Don't fall into the
trap of believing that more or better equipment will automatically give you
better pictures. The manufacturers have been promoting that myth ever since
George Eastman introduced the original Kodak (You snap the shutter. We do
the rest). In the end it is the skill of the photographer in the use of
whatever equipment he/she chooses that determines how good the photos will
be. And to avoid becoming too discouraged remember that the photos in the
books are the cream of the crop. For every one you see, dozens were
trashed. Ken shot 137 rolls of film. 137 times 36 exposures is 4932 photos
taken. There are no where near that number in the book.

If you are interested in an instructional book dedicated to photography for
backpackers I recommend "The Backpacker's Photography Handbook" by Charles
Campbell published by Amphoto. Charles is hard core including high mountain
climbing. The cover of the author shows him standing on a snow covered
slope surrounded by ropes and 'biners. He is holding a rangefinder 35mm of
the sort that presaged today's P&S cameras. His photos are super. He even
has his own version of the zone system adapted for color.

>Again, I'm in your debt for the info, I can see why you teach this stuff,
>or did teach, you have the temperament and ability to explain it with out
>belittling the novice or student, thank you.

No problem. We all start somewhere and I love talking about making pictures
almost as much as being in the woods and doing it.

Saunterer