[at-l] Untuckerized Pack---

kahley wrote:
>don't forget a nice big boom box and lotsa cds

Glad you reminded me - in 92 there was a group from NYC who started through
the Wilderness from Monson.  They'd read the Backpacker article about how
wondeful (and easy) the Wilderness was.  They struggled for 4 days and
finally made it to Cloud Pond Leanto (22 miles) where they were given
sympathy by the other hikers --- until one of them pulled a boom box out of
his pack so he could listen to the ball game.  They turned around and headed
back to Monson the next day.

Then there was the group in Mass who were headed south on the trail. They
were stopped when we passed them about a mile from the road. They intended
to stay at the shelter that night and they'd brought a 20 ga shotgun to hold
off the bears at night.  20  ga???? These guys were REAL backwoodsmen.  Not.

Walk softly,
Jim