[at-l] Looking for short trips on or near the AT, in or near NC

The best loop hike on the southern AT is west of Franklin in the
Standing Indian area. I'd suggest parking free in the backcountry
parking lot, take the Kimsey Creek Trail up to Deep Gap, and walk north
on the AT until you get tired or bored or whipped. Any number of trails
will head back toward the parking lot as the AT makes a big U turn
around the area. The easiest way back is to exit between Big Springs
shelter (just north of Mt. Albert) and Rock Gap shelter (be careful,
the sign was gone last spring).

There are other good loops involving the AT and several Smokies trails,
but Standing Indian is just a very special place.

Your mileages sound somewhat agressive for 3 days. Given your prior
comments about stamina, I'd budget no more than 20 miles in 3 days. I
suspect that if you walk for 8 days, your stamina will improve and you
will hit 80-100 miles. Hope to see your trail report soon!

Bill...