[at-l] Slides

At 12:11 PM 2/3/01 -0500, mtn0613@mail.newnanutilities.org wrote:
>Hi James, me again, thanks again for the info on the Zing case, I did buy
>one and really like it.
>If you don't mind I would like to pick your brain for some suggestions on
>lenses. The one I bought with my Rebel 2000 is the Sigma Zoom 28-105
>1:3.8-5.6 UC-III. I like the lens, but on a recent outing I found its
>limitations as far as distance, that what I saw in the view finder and
>what developed where two different things. I was shooting 3 hikers on the
>approach trail leaving the shelter, in hopes of sending them a copy via
>e-mail as pre-arranged, when I got the slides and CD back they where so
>small in the frame that it was not worth sending it to them. The focal
>length was at its max, the distance to the subject was about 200 yards, so
>my question is what lens would you recommend to bring them in? I have been
>looking at the Sigma 100-300 mm, would this do it or should I just invest
>in 2X multiplier, if such thing is available for AF type lenses? I am sure
>you noticed that I have referred to Sigma which tells you what price range
>I am in so please keep this in mind with your answer, also I might add
>that I am just getting back into 35 mm SLR cameras after many years of
>absence, using mostly 35 mm point and shoots so I am a little foggy on all
>of it.
>One more question if you don't mind, what lenses do you carry when
>backpacking, say for a 4 to 7 day trip?
>Thanks in advance for you time,
>
>Doug
I don't know if they are available for autofocus but lens multipliers are
not high on my personal list. They cut the effective aperture of your lens
and the cheaper ones can degrade your image.  When teaching classes on
filters I tell students to buy filters as high a quality as their lens
because the image will be as good as the worst piece of glass in the image
path. That goes double for lens extenders. If you are choosing between a
doubler and a 100-300 lens, I'd go with the lens. You have to dismount and
remount either way and at least you don't reduce the effective aperture
with a second lens.

Truth is I carry a point and shoot on most hikes. I carried an Olympus XA
for years. Recently I bought an Olympus Stylus 80 Wide (28-80mm) which I am
very happy with.  I rarely have need of a long lens for the shooting I do
but that's a matter of personal preference. The Olympus is weatherproof
(though not waterproof as in 'dunk in the brook') and it takes very good
record shots. My 'serious' (read that last word in a deep voice)
photography is all done in medium or large format. I do some 35mm color but
not on extended hikes. Generally my photo hikes are day hikes to specific
locations carrying 20-25 lbs of just photo gear. I'm sure you can
understand why I don't add camping gear to that load.

I've been thinking about what I will want on a thru (or extended section)
hike if I get to do it because I'll be going places I'm not likely to get
back to on a day hike.  I think I'll go with a Tamron 28-200 or 28-300.
They're more expensive but thr one lens would handle it all, no swapping in
bad weather, they're not large or heavy and the optics are very good.

Weather is a concern. That's why I bought the Olympus Stylus. Canon is now
building 35mm SLR bodies that incorporate weatherseals but unfortunately
they are on the high end of the price scale. One trick for protecting your
camera while shooting in light-moderate rain is to collect those shower
caps they put in hotel rooms. They make great camera covers while setting
up a shot and weigh almost nothing. Some photographers wear a rainproof hat
and use that to shelter the camera. You could carry a small umbrella for
that. EMS has one that folds up really small.

Bottom line. You may just end up deciding that you can't have it all
photographically any more than you can in camping gear. It all depends how
important a part photography plays in your hike . That will determine both
what you are willing to pay for gear and how much you are willing to tote
and deal with on the trail. I recently mentioned Kenneth Wadness book
"Sojourn in the Wilderness" in reference to 'the cat on the pack' thread.
He did some very good photography on his hike. The only better work I've
seen was done by people doing shorter or supported hikes so they can carry
more/better gear. Ken lists his gear in the back of the book. This is the
list: Nikon FE, Nikon 35-135mm, 81A Filter, polarizer filter, 15 second
timer (if your camera has a self-timer you don't need this), a waterproof
camera bag and 137 rolls of Fujichrome 50 or Velvia film. It's hard to
argue with success and Ken has "been there, done that" when it comes to
taking very good photos while on an extended hike.

Saunterer