[at-l] REI

I concur about the store in Conshohocken, PA. They have limited stock, and
much of what they do have seems to be hiker-chic, not serious hiking stuff.

For example, they've been sold out of Red Photon II's forever. And when my
wife asked about trail-friendly rubber tips for my trekking poles, they had
no idea what she was talking about, although the item has been available on
their website for a long time. Their standard answer seems to be "order it
online."

On the positive side, the website does seem to be the real deal. Just
ordered the Photon II, the rubber tips, and some Esbit stuff, no hassle.
Just like to look before I buy sometimes, and if your not going to be on the
trail, I suppose an outfitter is one of the nicest "next best" places to be.
:)

-- Hal (Pokey Papa)

on 2/3/01 3:15 PM, Earl Needham at KD5XB@amsat.org wrote:

>     I went to the REI store in Albuquerque yesterday, for the first time
> in maybe 3 to 5 years.  Things sure have changed.stuff I expected just wasn't
there.  maybe the market has changed, but