[at-l] Updated Gear list

My, my....where to start....=3Do)
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Bob Wardecker <bakpakr@planetcable.net>
To: AT-L Digest <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 1:45 PM
Subject: [at-l] Updated Gear list

Dana Designs Alpine LTW (M)
7# 3oz
Almost anything. Kelty Flight around 3 pounds depending on how you =
configure it, Mountainlight Auspex, 3# 14 oz or the Ghost 2# 67oz., Lowe =
Walkabout 50 3# 7 oz or Ophir 4# 7oz even the Netherworld is only 5# 8 =
oz. Dana Designs are WAY too heavy and WAY too expensive...IMHO. My =
personal favorite is a second generation Mountainlight 5200 that I =
performed severe lypo-suction on and reduced it to right at 2#.=20

North Face Cats Meow 3D
3# 7 oz
Marmot (their new Helium is a 15 dg bag at 2#), Western Mountaineering =
Ultralite 1# 12oz. Big Agnes Lost Ranger 2# 12 oz. Not to mention quilts =
like the Nunatak Back Country Blanket 15 oz...much lighter.

Sierra Designs Light Year CD
2# 15 oz
Hennessy Hammock Ultra Light Backpacker 1# 8oz (complete with rainfly) =
and, at temps above 50 dg or so you won't need a pad or be hot when it =
gets over 80 dg. Silnylon tarp up or down from a pound depending on how =
big you want. I like a 10' x 12' (18 oz) but I love the room and only =
use it in the winter.

Thermarest Ultra light Long *
1# 8oz
Ridgerest Delux 18oz, it's as comfortable as the Ultra lite and lasts =
longer than the Z-Rest

MSR Mini Waterworks *
1# 1 oz
Safe Water Anywhere in-line in a gravity feed, Aqua Mira, Pristine Water =
Treatment. If you have to have a pump the Sweetwater is light, cheap and =
it works. I've had two for 4 or 5 years with no trouble. But I use an =
in-line now.

MSR Titanium Pot *
8oz

MSR Dragonfly w/ 22 oz fuel bottle
1# 1oz
Home made stove (1 oz) and Esbit tabs, Trangia alcohol stove 4.5 oz, =
fuel bottle about 1 oz. Either of these is easier to use and much =
lighter. I only bring my Dragon when I think I might have to weld =
something....=3Do)

MSR Dromlight *
3oz

Platypus Water Tank *
3oz

Nalgene 1qt bottle * W/ Duct Tape Wrap                                3 =
oz
Why all three? A straight Platy works fine and, with a FilterLink, can =
be hooked directly to the gravity feed system for no hands filling.

2 Pair Smart Wool Socks

2 Coolmax Shirts (1 long & 1 short) 1 worn

2 Nylon Shorts 1worn

Set Frog Togs

Midweight Fleece Pants
1 lb. 8 oz.

Outdoor Research P300T Gloves
3 oz

Turtle Fur=AE WindtechT 2000 Cool Top                                  =
3oz
Well, you should have plenty of clothes....   ;o)

Vasque Clarion GTX Boots
This is REALLY a personal choice. The last time I was on the AT (around =
800 miles) I wore Merrell Convertable sandals with Spenco Hiker inserts =
glued in them. But I was also carrying a light pack.

Bic Lighters 2 (1 for back-up)
Get the larger see though lighters. You can tell how much fuel is left =
and they work better. I found mine at an Army Surplus. I've had lots of =
trouble with Bics and just gave up. The flints just don't last very =
long.

Petzl Micro ( I really Like This)
100 g
Phonton or the like 1 oz

First Aid Kit Atwater Carey Walkabout First Aid                     10 =
oz
This gets really tough. In about 45 years of backpacking I seem to have =
just two types of first aid situations...band aids and med evacs. I =
carry a few band aids and that's it. The water treatment will work for =
disinfectant.

Bob
A.K.A. Shakeyleggs GA-ME 2001
A Bad Day On The Trail Is Still
So Much Better Than A Great Day At Work

All of this is personal, of course. My summer pack runs between 8 and 10 =
pounds, no food or water, and I will not sacrifice comfort for weight. =
My winter pack can run as high as 22+ pounds but I usually use a gear =
sled so it's not so bad.=20
Jerry

multipart/alternative
  text/html