[at-l] Mouse ingenuity

Ben Curtis <cobwebat99@yahoo.com>

[clip]
> The mouse baffles worked fine on my NOBO hike in
> '99 until I reached Maine's 100 mile wilderness.  I
> got a new hole in my food bag each time that I stayed
> in a shelter.  I even watched a mouse do a trapeze act
> on the stick under the can on an unused hanger.  As
> soon as it realized that it had an audience it dropped
> to the floor and scurried away.

One of the critters that takes food quite handily in Maine is the flying
squirrel. You don't see them often, but they are nocturnal, and they
frequent shelters and can get around any mouse-trapeeze that you care to
rig. They don't bother climbing to the food, they simply jump!

I caught one hanging on my food bag in 1999 the night before Katahdin. I
wasn't sleeping very well which is how I heard him - he had jumped about 6
feet from the wall of the shelter to my food bag.

-Tim