[at-l] Insurance

Here's maybe a slightly different angle.

I had a BC/BS hospital only policy for the big stuff.
And I had a travel insurance policy for the smaller
stuff. Most travel insurance companies only cover
trips abroad but I found one that covered in the
U.S. also.

I had one bout of cellulitis of the right foot on
the trail and the travel insurance paid for it.
I went to the hospital but the doctor billed
separately
from the hospital so BC/BS didn't pick it up.

The company name is Travel Insured International Inc.
which I got through Travel Insurance Services
(an insurance agency). Your insurance is
in turn underwritten by "The Traveller's."

They have as I remember a 180 day max trip length.

Travel Insured International, Inc.
   1-800-243-3174 (Connecticut)
Travel Insurance Services
   1-925-932-1387 (California)

It was a little weird for them (they're used to
handling group travel) but once I explained my
trip it worked out o.k. I had travel accident and
sickness coverage through them.

Turbo Turtle