[at-l] THIS LIST..was political activism and all the other crap

Kathley >> I talked to a lot of listers this weekend........including
lurkers and the
newly emerged.  The list wasn't the first thing we talked about but
sometimes I did ask what they liked and why they hung around.
They all liked the Trail talk. Some liked the fun.  But non of them said
they came here to hear about politics.....NOT ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
..........<<

Blessed are the peace makers, for they shall be called the children of God.

Despite their effects on our individual feelings, political discussions only
represent a small fraction of the traffic on this list. To demand that
people reframe from them is an insult to those who engage in them. Hundreds
of emails generated by this fly through my system on a weekly basis that
would be more appropriate for a chat list or instant messenger. Few of them
have anything to do with hiking or the AT.

I'd agree that the rancor of the posts can be very annoying at times,
something we're all guilty of. Analyzing the personal traits of or
politicians does little more than allowing people to vent deep seated
frustrations, still event that's better than some of that alternatives.

To ban discussion of topics that are often personally painful can be the
equivalent of burying your head in the sand. We should all practice
tolerance and self restraint.

The price of maintaining a democracy is higher than simply shedding our
blood.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
www.fallingwater.com/pct2000