[at-l] Pollution laws

At 07:19 PM 1/28/01 -0500, Slyatpct@aol.com blasted the following out into
the ether:
>In a message dated 1/28/2001 6:50:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>KD5XB@AMSAT.ORG writes:
>
><< I think pollution
>  laws are too strict and too heavy-handed. >>
>
>Sure beats the alternative!

      I'd go back to the conditions of the early '60's in a HEARTBEAT.

>I'm surprised anyone would say that.  I can only imagine just what our air
>and water quality would be like without the laws.  I've been to less
>developed countries where one could hardly breathe and water had to be
>treated.

      I've been to Japan, where things were extremely clean, and I've been
to South Korea, where you couldn't even drink the water from the water
mains.  The air in Japan was good with visibility of WELL over 20
miles.  the air in south Korea was somewhat worse, especially when the
farmers would all burn their rice fields at the same time.

>   We aren't far away.  I'd like to think corporations and people
>would skip the monetary bottom-line on this subject and think about the
>future with regard to health of the planet.
>
>Sly

      I grew up in the oil fields of south Texas.  In the late '50's and
early '60's, there wasn't a day that went by that you didn't see a big
plume of smoke on the horizon.  Why?  Well, it seems it was common practice
to let the crude flow into the storage tanks until the tanks ran over.  The
excess would flow into a catch-pit where it would be burned as waste.

      What was the air quality like back then?  Well, most days you could
see at least 20 miles.  Occasionally you could see -- FARTHER.  No bad
odors or burning eyes, or anything else that would normally be associated
with air pollution.

      Now, after 1973 or so, when cars got all their emissions control
devices, the air (in some places) is just AWFUL.  Been to LA lately?  I was
there some 15 years ago, and you couldn't see a mile.  Too hazy.  And you
couldn't hardly breathe -- it was like smoking a bad cigar or something all
the time.  I don't have the foggiest notion what it's like today, though.

      Gas mileage went down so much that I have to wonder just what good
the pollution controls did.  Remember before 1972 when cars got around 20
MPG?  Between 1072 and around 1985, gas economy was anywhere from 5 to 12
MPG, at least in my experience.  What's the good of reducing pollution in
PPM if the millions goes from 3 to 300?  In other words, if say, HS is at
300 PPM, and the million is only 3, that's around 900 parts of
HS.  Reducing it to 100 while raising the millions to 900 gives an INCREASE
of HS released into the air.  Where's all that gasoline going?  Right out
the tailpipe one way or another.

      At least, that's how *I* understand it.  Some parts of the pollution
laws just don't "hold water".

      Now, that said, let me add that OF COURSE I don't advocate anybody
pouring ANYTHING into our rivers (such as acid pollutants) or releasing
natural gas into the atmosphere.  It's just that I remember what things
were like 40 years ago, before the EPA had their fingers in everything.

      Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB    mailto:KD5XB@AMSAT.ORG
Clovis, New Mexico         DM84jk N34d 25.446m W103d 12.700m (or so)

Pet peeve: breath is a noun,  breathe is a verb (When you take a breath,
you breathe...)