[at-l] Trip Report, 2 more practice hikes in NC

Yesterday I decided to go for 7 miles in town, a circuitous route on the greenways.  I hadn't done 7 miles at a stretch, especially on trails, since I was on the AT in August, '99.  Remember, 4 weeks ago, when I started back at it, 2 miles was a stretch.

It worked!!  Nothing spectacular.  I was also experimenting with food and remembered that when I am doing miles I don't like meals - but after a point, I *need* a real meal (get sick of snacks).  A learning experience.

This afternoon I planned to do a *3 mile, moderate* trail in Umstead State Park (Loblolly Trail).  The idea was to not to do too much, but enjoy one of the 2 trails there I hadn't yet hiked.

I forgot my water.  I mean, I had my little day pack thingie all packed, remembered to add snacks but forgot to fill up my two water bottles (which are actual water bottles). Had some spares in the trunk but walked off and left them.   About 1/2 mile in, I realized it, but decided I could do 3 miles without water.  Next surprise - it's 3 miles *each way!*  Hooboy.  I still did fine, didn't find myself getting nostalgic about water (and dragging) until about the last mile.  But, I usually start dragging about the last mile anyway.  Another lesson learned.  Liked the trail.

Is that why we call these practice hikes?

Onward,
Delita

CFAITH - Your Interconnected Faith Family - http://www.cfaith.com