[at-l] My Gear List (seriously)

In a message dated 1/27/2001 12:13:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,=20
Tim.Hewitt@fairchildsemi.com writes:

> KellyGoVols@aol.com wrote:
>=20
> > The following is my gear list:
>=20
> Remember that gear is a very personal thing, and what worked for me may no=
> work for you. It's your hike, and you can carry what you want. That said,
> I'll take my shot at your list.
>=20
> > 1)  Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent and footprint
>=20
> Leave the footprint home. This tent's heavy enough without it. I carried o=
ne
> for the first half of my hike and then switched to a Nomad. Loved the
> difference.

*** Keep the footprint, it protects the floor ot the tent.

>=20
> > 2)  Sierra Designs Dream Weaver 15 degree bag
>=20
> Be prepared to ditchthis by Rockfish gap at the latest. It will be way too
> hot for the bulk of your trip. It's probably a great starting bag though.=20=
> switched to a 40 degree down "liner" bag for the rest of my trip and it wa=
> even too hot on many a night.
>=20

*** You will then have to get it back later. I carried a 10=BA bag on my thr=
ee=20
thru-hikes. On the first I sent it home in the summer and used a poncho=20
liner. On the yo-yo hike it carried it for the whole hike. Used it like a=20
blanket when it was warmer.

>=20
> > 4)  MSR Internationale stove
> > 5)  MSR 12 oz. fuel bottles (2)
>=20
> No need for two bottles. Cook your typical meals at home first and measure
> fuel consumption. You'll be able to fuel up everywhere you stop. If you ar=
> at all interested in trimming weight here, consider an Esbit or Alcohol
> stove. If you really like the MSR, carry it. It's a fine stove.
>=20

*** Better to have one larger fuel bottle, then two small one. If your=20
planing to have hot meals thru out the day. You will need more fuel.=20
=20

> > 6)  MSR Titan pot, cup, spoon and fork (on a ring)
>=20
> Dump the cup, fork and ring. Drink from your pot if you need to drink
> something other than water, and eat with the spoon. The ring is nothing bu=
> extra.

*** Keep the cup. With it you can have your hot drink while waiting for the=20
meal to cook.

>=20
> > 14)  Camp shoes or sandals of some sort (I haven't bought any.=20
> Suggestions?)
>=20
> Lightweight is best here. I carried very lightweight plastic sandals, and
> never hiked in them. They were for camp only. A light nylon running shoe
> looked like a great alternative. Tevas are wicked heavy, and only a few
> people can successfully hike in them, though I know one who did every day
> north of Fontana Dam.

***Get Tevas or tevas type of sandal. You want something that will stay on=20
your feet. The slip on types will not.=20

>=20
> > 15)  mini Maglite (although I'm leaning towards the Petzl or similar)
>=20
> The photon is lighter, but this is better than some you'll see. The 4 D Ce=
ll
> flashlights will be out there, believe me. Some will even make it all the
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---