[at-l] Alcohol stove

"Jack Richardson" <ultrajtr@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am sure this has been discussed to a farthy well, but I have a MSR
> Whisperlite and my pack is already 5+ pounds over my desired limit. I am
> considering using a Trangia or a homemade alcohol stove. What are the
> opinions of others that have used them for a thru hike or section hiking? Is
> there an archive that I can download to see previous discussions on this
> matter?

The archives for this list are full of discussions on the use of alcohol
stoves of all finds.

I used a Trangia on my thru and loved it. It was part of my cooking system
however, and may not work if your plan is to boil food for 10-15 minutes a
day. Check out how I planned meals on my website for all the details, but
the short story is:

  put food stuff, rehydrated stuff included, and water to cover in
    the pot (ignoring virtually all home kitchen directions)
  bring to a boil on the stove
  immediately take off stove and cover with a pot cozy
  wait 5-10 minutes depending on the type of dish
  eat

Worked beautifully, and uses very little fuel. I was nearly always finished
eating and cleaning up before my Whisperlight friends had finished putting
out the brush fire from their overfilled priming cups :).

YMMV.

-p
--
Paddler