[at-l] Night Light

KellyGoVols@aol.com wrote:

> I've not done a lot of night hiking, and generally when I do hike, I make
> camp prior to night fall.  I know that a lot of people on the AT find
> themselves a little short of daylight when hiking, and depend on Petzls or
> something similar.  Also, I intend to write a journal, and will probably do
> my writing at the end of the day, after dinner.  Do I need a Petzl (or
> something similar) or will a simple mini-maglite do the job?  If I do need
> one of those head jobs, what's the best, longest lasting, etc?
> Thanks in advance!

I started with a headlamp and sent it home mid way. I wish I'd not started
with it.

I had no interest in hiking at night - there were plenty of daylight hours
to exhaust myself in thank you, and the Photon I replaced the headlight with
was much smarter weight-wise, and was plenty of light for reading, writing
in my journal, cooking, or going to the privy in the middle of the night.

I put the Photon on a short length of nylon rope and wore it around my neck
at night. No fumbling for a light when I needed to get up.

Go light (pun intended). You'll thank yourself every day.

-Paddler