[at-l] Flashback

Hi all,

I was going to post this a couple weeks ago, but got a GPF on my computer
and decided it was a sign that I was being sentimental.  But it happened
again last night so here it goes.

I was going to school a couple weekends ago, and there was a James Taylor
song on the radio... "Going to Carolina'.  I was thinking about class, and
not really paying attention to the radio.  But suddenly my mind tuned in
and heard the line "Dark and silent late last night I think I might have
heard the highway calling" and I thought of all the times, late at night as
I lay in bed waiting for sleep to curl its tendrils into my brain and
slowly pull me down into blackness... when the silence speaks to me of the
Trail and of Katahdin and how really, I think I might hear the mountains
calling.

And that thought triggered the flashback... to Whitecap Mountain in Maine.
It was just like I was standing there again even though I was driving down
the road.  So here's my flashback....

It was September 16 and I'd been in Maine for 16 days.  Only a few more
days of hiking until I hit the goal.  The 15th had been a long day of
soaking, cold rain and today didn't look much better.  I started out early,
knowing there were 4 peaks to conquer but I didn't know what else the day
would hold.  In fact, it held 19 miles of magic.

I started out hazy and climbed the first 3 peaks under the clouds.  There
were lots of blowdowns, but I was looking forward to seeing Katahdin later
in the morning from Whitecap.  The clouds blew in and it got cold, but
Whitecap is sort of a gentle climb so I wasn't struggling much.  When I
finally reached the summit I was disappointed; there was supposed to be a
good view of Katahdin from here but I couldn't see anything. I checked out
the map, then the compass and realized Katahdin was off to my left, behind
the actual peak of the mountain. So I continued on, crossing the boulder
field around the summit of White Cap. The trail rounded a corner to the
left and the ground fell away into the valley.  And there, slapping me in
the face, was my goal.

Katahdin stood on the horizon rising stark and jagged up from the plain. In
front of it the rest of the 100 mile wilderness laid like a patchwork quilt
of colors. The leaves were really changing. Red, yellow, orange and green
blended into a wondrous sight that looked as if a painter splashed drops
everywhere while doing a hurried canvas.  I took a few pictures but there's
no way they'll ever do justice to what I saw that day. I stood looking and
thought (as I did many times over the next few days) "wait right there...
I'm coming!".  Then I started the descent.  The rest of the day was
beautiful... it held incredible hiking among moss-covered boulders and
among falling leaves. It held walking on the shores of ocean-like lakes,
and finally some sunshine.  It held seeing a mama moose with her calf,
close-up and personal! But mostly, it held the image of Katahdin in my mind
the whole day.

I finished my hike 3 days later... doing my biggest mileage day the next
day, but nothing can beat the breathlessness that hits you when you stand
looking over a sea of foliage to the rocky peak you're heading for...
except of course, standing on top of the world :-)

and as Felix says... man, what a Hike I had.

Twilight