[at-l] Gore-Tex ???

My worst experience with totally waterproof boots wasn't on the trail but
on the parade grounds at Ft. Dix. As a drill sgt I had to have spit
polished combat boots.  One pair had been painted with a product called
Leather Luster which made them look like patent leather.  It also served
to waterproof them thoroughly.  One very rainy day we were out teaching
manual of arms (right shoulder arms, etc).  The ridiculous part was that
the trainees were keeping the weapons under the ponchos to keep them dry
and I had no idea that they were doing it right but no one with authority
had either the courage or the smarts to go against the training schedule
which said to do this outside.
Anyway, I am wearing fatigues bloused into my boots and the poncho stops
about 12" above my boots so that section of the cotton pants is getting
wet and wicking the water into the boots.  The waterproofing worked
perfectly since not one drop of water leaked out of the boots.  During the
lunch (what the army calls dinner) break I took off the boots and poured
about a pint of water out of each of them.  BTW I made a command decision
and we continued the training in the barracks that afternoon.

Rich