[at-l] If a tree falls in the forest...

>From: Hal Wright <knowhal@netreach.net>
>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:05:48 -0500

>Which sometimes gets me ta thinkinš: Does anyone ever get creamed by a
>falling tree while they innocently and peacefully sleep at night?

Good question...

It's always a good idea look up and scan for possible deadfall before
picking a campsite.  As a matter of fact, along the AT, there are a couple
of areas where various pests are decimating the forests and there are signs
posted about being careful where to pitch your tent.

If I'm hiking in very windy conditions, or after heavy wet snow or ice
storm, I try to be aware of possible problems overhead.  It's not fun being
beaned by falling branches or chunks of ice.

Anyone want to add a hard hat to their list of equipment?  Think they come
in lightweight titanium?

:-)

Mara
Stitches, GAME99