[at-l] trail newbie

on 1/21/01 9:16 PM, Slyatpct@aol.com at Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/21/2001 8:34:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> knowhal@netreach.net writes:
>
> << The more I hike, the more I realize that the way we live while not in the
> woods is crazy. We are never more sane than when we are in the woods.
>
> I don't want you to mistake me for someone who knows what he's talking
> about, >>
>

> Different words for different folks, but I guess we all share something!
>
> Glad to meet ya, Sly

Yeah, I suppose both of these require a bit more explanation...

I usually experience some sort of epiphany shortly after a hike begins, even
if it's just an overnight. My last hike was an overnight in the Delaware
Water Gap area (backpacker site 2 for those familiar with the area).

After spending time with some nice folks at the top of Mt. Tammany, I walked
back along a ridge with a more or less continuous view of the Delaware River
and surrounding countryside to the south. Suddenly and without warning I was
awash in emotion. You see, a good friend of mine is fighting for his life
against colon cancer. His predicament came to mind, along with a variety of
powerful feelings: gratitude for the magnificent winter day and for the good
health to enjoy it in this setting, concern and love for my friend, fear for
myself. It sounds like an unpleasant experience, but the thing is, in the
woods, I can face the heavy stuff with inner peace and a kind of quiet
confidence in the human spirit. Far from ruining a good time, such thoughts
invigorate me and I usually emerge with renewed determination and focus. I
figure things out. That's the sane part.

The crazy part is the almost unbearable complexity, the million and one
details, the running in circles, all of the burdens we routinely accept to
live in the so-called civilized world. Ninety percent, maybe more, of
everyday life out of the woods is distraction from the truly important
stuff.

As for the warning that I didn't know what I was talking about, that's the
standard "I've spent a lot of time in the woods but I haven't thru-hiked
yet" disclaimer...something I guess I feel obligated to add, as a lowly
section hiker...:)

Peace,

Hal (Pokey Papa)