[at-l] PA RUCK details

Getting close!!!   WaaHOOOOOOOO!
.
Some new business..
.
If you will be attending Treacy's compass workshop, bring a compass <g>.
They will have maps for us to use in the second part when we get to go outside
and practice but  maybe only one extra compass, so be sure and bring your own.
.
Last chance to hollar to Photon and say you want to see how to make an
alki stove  No need for him to bring that stuff if I'm the only one who hasn't
already made one.  E -me  your hands up before Tuesday night please.
.
Have you put a critical eye to your gear supply?  Anything you can part with,
bring it to the porch sale on Saturday PM.  Don't be cruel.....how would you
like to be shut up in a closet and not allowed to go hiking?  Set your unused
gear free and maybe make a couple bucks to buy NEW GEAR!!!!!!!!
.
Speaking of new gear....one highlight of a RUCK is the chance to fondle
gear so if you have something nifty, please bring it!   Personally, I'd really
like to see a G-4 and a Hennessy Hammock.  Purty pleaseeee..........
And since Kurt won't be here this year, I hope someone will bring their
Nomad for for the newbees to check out.
.
Maybe you have figured it out...I've been going through the feedback
from last year and trying to deal with the problems we found. Some
of the comments were lost in transit so if ya don't see your comment
addressed, please let me know!
.
The hostel was cold last year.  Well that's to be expected with all the
coming and going added to the overnight temp of 6*.  Even if it doesn't
get that cold this year, come prepared with your own sheet, pillowcase
and blankets.  Hostel rules are no dirty, stinky sleeping bags on the bunks
(nor clean ones either). <g>  If you are bunking on the floor, ignore the
above.
.
One issue was parking.
I just talked to the Park People and the Park got eight inches of fresh
snow!!!!!!
I don't know how much will remain by RUCKtime but there should still
be some.   This year, the Park people have agreed to plow the Campstore
lot and the 'Furnace Stack' Parking lot (Quarry Rd.).  Both are easy walks
from the Mansion and bigger than the Masion's lot.  Of course they
will plow access to the campground as well.
.
The Park Rangers had some concerns about the way we triple parked in
the Mansion Lot last year, because it blocked emergency vehicle access
which is a  REALLY    REALLY    REALLY   REALLY  BIG NO NO.
.
Did seem to slow down the firetrucks, EMTs and SWAT
Teams....but only a little. <g>.  Actually just enough
for Feelix to make his get away!  Boy that boy can move
when he's of a mind.........
.
So this year, we will save the Mansion Lot for loading and
unloading only, except for the people hauling equipment
for the presentations or the Hiker Fair, or tons of food and
for the  PARKING LOT NAPPERS...
.
Remember...it is against Park Rules to_sleep_in your car
unless you are a registered guest at the Camp Ground.;^)
.
The rangers DO have a habit of checking any vehicle parked
after dark in any area other than the Mansion Parking Lot,
so those good souls who are freeing up bunks by_napping _
in their trucks, cars and vans,  PARK IN THE MANSION LOT
.
I'm sure the rest of us will co-operate by parking elsewhere,
and save the Mansion Lot for the Parking Lot People so
they will be safer from fines and citations if they ...uhhhh ....over-nap,
and keep the Rangers happy re: emergencies to boot.
.
Remember.it is a no no to actually sleep in your vehicle in the park.
We wouldn't want to break any rules now......
.
Since there are people coming who aren't on the lists
and won't understand why we are saving the space in the
Mansion Lot, we may rope off part of it.  If you are one of
the heavy laden, or nappers,  please just untie and retie.
Thank you all for your co-operation in keeping us within
the rules...
.
Why am I thinking "Airport"
The blue zone is for loading and unloading only.
.
This awfully long url.....
.
http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/map.mb?CMD=LFILL&IC=40.1161:-77.1932:8:&CT=4
0.031968:-77.308912:10000&GAD1=717/486-0000&GAD3=Mount+Holly+Springs%2c+PA+1
7065&GAD4=USA&W=456&H=259&AD4=USA&first3=486&areaCode=717&Zip=17065&expLat=1
&serch=adv
.
will hopefully take you to a map of the Pa Ruck @ Iron Master's Mansion.
The Hostel is approx where the Trail meets RT233.  If the link holds, you can
zoom out for a bigger map.
.
If the link doesn't work, go to
http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/map.mb?&IC=::8:&serch=adv
and enter 40.1161 in the Latitude and 77.1932 Longitude
.
This is a cool aerial view
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp?S=10&T=1&X=1516&Y=22169&Z=18&W=0
.
which shows the loop with the Mansion and Campstore in the island of the loop.
Although I'm not positive, I think that is Route 233 coming in from the top and
Pine Grove Road going cross screen.
The building most left on the screen is the Mansion,  To it's right, a near
vertical line
of trees.  Then the Camp store and lot.  The road exiting to the bottom,
between
them is to The Furnace Stack and Campground (I think).
.
Remember to PARK AT THE CAMPSTORE LOT
.
Overflow is in the Furnace Stack Lot which is the left turn past
the Campstore lot ( the Ranger said  .....Quarry Road).
.
Last year we had a scan of a park map but it doesn't seem to have survived
the re-work of the website.  If anyone happens to have a copy stashed on
their HD....e-it to us and we'll put it up.
.
Other maps:
.
Here is another view from Sputnik, I think
http://terraserver.com/image.asp?T=100&S=14&X=36&Y=12&Z=289&W=0
but you have to load a plug in to view.....
.
and a topo map barely showing the Trail
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp?S=14&T=2&X=94&Y=1385&Z=18&W=0

That's it for now! RUCK RUCK RUCK......