[at-l] goretex and the likes

The problem of "breathable" materials is not one of
the fabric itself but of the laws of thermodynamics
so to speak.

Here's my understanding:
Most of the problems that you'll have with breathables
is in the summer or warm temps. In these cases, you
have a warm surrounding external temp and a warm
internal temp. Heat and by implication water vapor
only is transferred from a warmer to cooler
environment. So in the summer, internal heat won't
transfer well to a warm clime. In contrast in the
winter, the transfer works better because your body
is warm and is exerting itself, so warm goes to cooler
alot better.

I only used my goretex jacket in cool temps on my
hike and then in camp.  Alot of people switched to
"frogg toggs" in the summer because of the weight.
They seemed to keep people dry but the material was
less durable it seemed. During warmer temps, when it
rained I accepted getting wet, and then put my jacket
after putting on dry clothes in camp and after my
bodies motor was running slower.

Turbo Turtle