[at-l] Silver Comet Trail report

This will probably be only interesting to Georgia folks.

I'm getting ready for a section in early March. My plans are for
Newfound Gap to Allen or Sam's Gap in NC. I'm taking the time to attend
a Wilderness Medicine course at Tremont in the Smokies.

That said, I know most of us have trouble staying in trail shape. There
are few things to help keep calves and thighs ready for hills than
putting a backpack on and hitting a trail. Nordic Traks and other
things get a bit boring, if you know what I mean.

In Atlanta, we have a "rail trail", the Silver Comet, that will
eventually go from near my home to Birmingham, AL. It is a long "park"
that will be 200 miles by 15 feet - or so. It has been paved in most
areas, but is pretty complete in Cobb County. The paving was a bit of a
turn off for me, but I ventured forth last weekend and today.

Today I found a ~3.5 mile loop that gets me off the paving. Starting on
Concord near the Covered Bridge is a parking lot and small visitors
center. Heading south on the trail, there is a west turn that is
initialy paved to an abandoned mill below the covered bridge. From this
point the trail is highly developed and groomed, but not paved. It
meanders through a wetlands area beside Nickajack Creek. It is far from
wilderness as it is between a large throughway and upscale suburbia
across the creek. About 1.4 miles south, it crosses the creek and a
boggy area on bridges and platforms, much as I suspect NJ's section of
the AT. A bit of an incline takes you back to road level and a road
walk back to the Silver Comet trail, probably 3/4 mile road walk. 1.4
miles north on the Silver Comet is a steady unrelenting uphill on
asphalt pavement. At least there were fewer bikers, skaters and joggers
than last week.

I did this loop in about 75 minutes today. Pack was fully loaded except
for food. I carried two shelters to try to pretend food and such were
loaded. This is a very convenient training trail that I would be glad
to show others. After the walk, it is very convenient to hit Dairy
Creme, Fat Boy or Krystals.

Bill....