[at-l] Data Books in PDA format?

> I've scanned pages of the Databook into text format (via OCR)
> and then
> downloaded it to my PalmPilot as a note. That works well for
> a few pages,
> but there is a limit on the size of text file. I suppose you
> could input it
> as a database, but that sounds more complicated than I like.
> Frankly, I
> preferred to copying it to fit on a single 8.5x11 page and
> laminating it.
> That way, I can look at it and not worry about the rain
> shorting my PDA. Of
> course, as a lowly sectioner, I only need to carry a few
> pages of Databook
> at a time.

I've done the same thing for sections and I have seen others do it as well.
As far as the limit on text file size, that is a function of the text
editor, not the file. So just break the file up into smaller parts the way
the AT books are done...

> Someone had talked about putting this on the Internet in
> downloadable form
> last spring, but it quickly disappeared as I am sure someone
> noticed the
> obvious copyright violation.

Only if they COPY it. IF someone wants to recreate it from scratch, perhaps
using data contributed from online participants and put the resulting
document in the public domain (this was starting to sound familiar until I
got to the public domain part, wasn't it), then it would be quite alright to
post it on the web for everyone to download. In fact, there are tons of
documents on the web already that are maintained just this way, They are
called FAQs, and some are much larger than the Data Book.

Lee I Joe