[at-l] smokies question

In a message dated 1/18/2001 4:06:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rrubin@atconf.org writes:

<< The old Birch Spring shelter in the Smokies will be torn down this spring
 and the site converted to a designated campsite, with tent pads, a cable
 system for hanging food, etc. The pads are already built, and right now the
 shelter remains, but not for long. >>

That's too bad.  I wish they could have restored the shelter or remodeled it
like Ice Water Springs , Peck's Corner or Davenport Gap, and possibly added a
few tent areas and a privy.  As it was, most that tented, did so, in the
toilet area!

I wonder what they are going to do with the old stones from the shelter?
Using them among the new tents to create retaining walls, steps or such would

Sly