[at-l] Rabies

In general, there are three "trusted" sources of information regarding the
prevalence of rabies in a given area: 1) Vets  2)  Animal control officers,
and 3)  The lowly ER doc.

In our area (central and south-central Indiana), I have never ordered a
rabies series for a patient who has sustained a dog or cat bite.  There has
not been a reported case of rabies in a dog or cat (including strays) in
this area in recent history, and thus, no need if you are bitten.  I DO
administer them for bat, raccoon, skunk, etc. bites.  I must again stress
that this practice pattern applies SOLELY to my geographic area.

It sounds like you are getting conflicting information regarding the risk of
rabies in the stray cat population in your area.  Vet says "yes" and animal
control says "no".  Although it is generally true that if the animal is
still alive and "well" two weeks later, one would perhaps be best served
(given your circumstances) by undergoing the inconvenience of the rabies
series instead of enduring the brief but miserable and generally life-ending
illness we call rabies.  The vet (someone very familiar with rabies) must
know something animal control does not.

Just my opinion - Indiana License only.

Steve