[at-l] Primus fuel cannisters

At 08:27 PM 1/13/01 -0500, Hal Wright wrote:
>In preparation for a little overnight tomorrow, I went onto the back porch
>to verify that my Primus butane/propane would boil water quickly below 20°
>(some folks on the "other" list said that butane/propane doesn't work well
>in cold weather). I put on a brand new canister. Nothing. Nada. Zippo. Put
>on another full canister. Everything went well; boiled in about 4 minutes.
>
>The obvious message is, try out those new canisters before assuming they'll
>work in the woods!

I have an isobutane stove. The problem with gas (gaseous state fuel, not
petrol) is that is has to vaporize from its liquid state in the canister.
That requires absorption of heat and when it's really cold there isn't
enough heat to absorb from the air. The canisters can freeze up. One trick
is to  place the canister in a pan of water while using the stove (any temp
above freezing will do) but that assumes  you have lots of water that
you've managed to keep from freezing. I don't winter hike so I have no
problem. If I did, I think I'd use a different stove in winter.

Saunterer