[at-l] Planning

In a message dated 1/11/2001 11:11:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Findsimp@aol.com writes:

<< Thank you for the reminder as I sit here tonight planning the itinerary
for
 my next journey.  It really is all about familiarization with the trail.
 Because, at least one time along the way...it will fall apart. >>

Simp,

You're right, "SpiritEagle" make an excellent point.  I know on both my hikes
my planning consisted of totally emerging myself in trail journals, videos,
books, guide books maps, *lists* and such, until I was familiar enough with
the trail, if a particular problem arose I'd have at least a notion of how to
deal with it. I'd only had to give myself a basic idea of what to carry and
of daily mileage according to a particular section in order to resupply at,
or mail ahead supplies to a particular town, but I knew of most of my options
beforehand and in case plans went awry, I felt prepared to handle them.

Know your bail out points!

What planning doesn't do, is to prepare me for the wanderlust and the
uncertainty, and that's the reason I keep on hiking.

Have a great hike, Sly