[at-l] Tyvek Fact for the Day

Tyvek is neat, but it doesn't hold a candle to Silnylon for shelter. I
did a section with one of Kurt's prototype Nomads made from Tyvek. It
leaked from the floor when set up in a huge rain storm, but had great
ventilation with a "chimney/dormer" near the peak of the tent. The
color was straw, with it best compaired to a stealth burrito/taco shell
appearance.

Tyvek is not as slippery as Silnylon, a lot cheaper, but a good deal
heavier. Kurt gives you a very large section of Tyvek as a ground
cloth, but you probably only need about half of it to put near the
center of the floor of the tent to absorb friction/abrasion from moving
about in the tent. The house wrap stuff is much stiffer than the postal
stuff. I think someone could take several postal tyvek mailers, use the
preglued sections to connect a few together as a very acceptable
groundcloth. I'd bet a real tightwad could make a reasonable tarp from
the stuff at taxpayer expense.

Of course people would notice your tarp while you were hiking. You
wouldn't have too many folks crowding your campsite as you would
obviously be "going postal".

Bill....