[at-l] Katahdin

In a message dated 1/10/01 4:54:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cosmo.A.Catalano@williams.edu writes:

> My hiking partner is proposing going to K this year, late July/August
> but it's difficult to plan 7 months in advance.  Too late to make a
> reservation this year?

 Not too late at all! There'll still be open tentsites or leantos at both
Katahdin Stream Campground and Abol Campground by the time your mailed in
request is processed. Just be sure to write 'we'll take any site or leanto'
on your request, for two people the cost is the same, $12.
 As far as timing is concerned, by August the notorious black flies will be
gone, and on the 11th/12th there will be a meteor shower!
 What not to miss? Visiting the AT Leantos and the Library at Daicey Pond
Campground, Moose watching at the ponds along the AT, taking your map and
compass up onto the Hunt Spur and figuring out where the AT wanders off thru
the mountains to the West, the porch at the Ranger Station at Katahdin
Stream, with it's registers and friendly Ranger, and the trail out the 'old'
AT to Grassy Pond <g> I could go on and on and on...
 The very best Baxter State Park website is one put up by a Ranger at
http://www.katahdinoutdoors.com/bsp/
There are maps of each campground on the site, if you want to request a
specific one. When a friend of mine started her MEGA hike last year, I got
her the last ( or first? <g>) tentsite on the AT!
 Please let me know if there's anything I can help you with!
TJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---