[at-l] change of plans

Well I was offered two jobs today--one in Germany and one in Vancouver WA.
The only job that I said would keep me off the AT this year was the Vancouver
one, and I got it (didn't think I would).  Can't turn it down because I have
two ageing in-laws out there who are dying for a grandchild and I have a four
year old here who's dying for grandparents.  So... family obligations will
keep me off the trail this year.  After all that preparation!  I don't know
how I'm going to reorient myself from AT to work in Vancouver.  Hey, at least
it's right by the PCT and I can accomplish a long term goal of climbing Mt.
Ranier.  Looks like 2004 will be my next opportunity to thruhike the AT.  I
can always come back for section hikes in the meantime, though.  Sad for me,
good for family relations.  Sometimes I wish... oh, nevermind.
Carpe