[at-l] Re: bags down or synth

While it is true that very wet down doens't have much insulation potential that is also true for
synthetic. The latter does gain insulation back faster though.

That being said it really requires a lot of soaking to really degrade a down bag.  If you plan on
sleeeping outside under the stars without even a tarp in the rain then I suppse a synthetic bag is a
better choice. But, since I doubt that is your plan I'd go with down. A down bag while initially
more expesnive will last considerably longer if you treat it with a little decent care. It'll also
be lighter and less bulky.

Pack you down bag in a good stuff sack and if you're really worried about it getting wet put that
stuff sack inside a trash bag or trash compactor bag.  For the really paranoid I suppose you could
get a sealine bag or similar dry bag and put the sleeping bag in that.  I'd do that if I were going
sea kayaking, but this is backpacking not sea kayaking.

There are many good down bags on the market. The best do command a hefty price tag, but I know many
people who have been quite happy with the bags that Campmor sells. I'm a big fan of Western
Mountaineering <www.westernmountaineering.com> sleeping bags like my Iroquois. I think I'll also
soon become a fan of my new Nunatak Back Country Blanket <www.nunatakgear.com>.

By the way, keep in mind that temperature ratings are pretty iffy things. Some companies are much
more conservative with their ratings than others. For example, WM is generally considered to be
conservative while Feathered Friends are optimists.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **