[at-l] Forest Service Chief Speaks part 2 long......

National Forest System Goals

The Forest Service has four principle goals for the National Forest System in
the coming year.

First, to implement the new roads policy to provide for safe public use and
access of forests and grasslands for millions of Americans in a fiscally
responsible and environmentally sensitive manner.

Second, to implement the new planning regulations based upon science and
collaboration with communities of place and communities of interest.

Third, to employ science-based active management to help restore fire-adapted
ecosystems, and to protect communities, habitat, and drinking water supplies.
And, as a byproduct of this work, to provide jobs to communities and wood
fiber for markets.

Fourth to update and strengthen our existing old-growth policy statement.

Old Growth

One of the most challenging responsibilities of conservation leadership is to
take the long view — to look beyond the crisis of the day toward the future.
This was in part what drove my decision to conserve roadless areas.

Gifford Pinchot advocated professional forestry for public lands. Nearly 100
years later, we celebrate his foresight and legacy. Aldo Leopold called for
the protection of wilderness areas in the early 1920s and beyond. Seventy
years later, the Forest Service manages more wilderness than any other
federal agency. In the 1930s, Bob Marshall advocated protection for large
roadless areas. Last week, the Forest Service protected more than 58 million
acres of these unfragmented, wild places.

Forestry, wilderness and roadless area protection are all ideas that were
initiated and brought to fruition through the efforts of present and past
conservation leaders — which brings me to the issue of old growth. Reverence
for ancient trees is ingrained in our culture. Some trace it back to tree
worship in the ancient old-growth forests of northern Europe. A semblance of
that culture remains in Germany’s monuments to its few remaining ancient
oaks, behemoths that witnessed the march of medieval armies. It echoes in our
own cultivation of champion trees, often the sole survivors of ancient
forests populated by giants.

The drive for progress and prosperity, coupled with federal largesse in
disposing of the public domain, led to vast clearcuts by profiteers who moved
from region to region, confident in the belief that America’s forests were
inexhaustible. First the eastern forests fell, next the forests of my home
country, the Lake States. Finally, the entrepreneurs turned to the South and
West. In their wake remained miles of slash, fueling enormous wildfires.
Hillsides left bare were gullied by erosion; downpours caused flash floods in
distant downstream communities.

Leopold wrote a fitting epitaph for the last old-growth maple in the last
virgin forest in the Great Lakes region: “With this tree will fall the end of
an epoch. … There will be an end of cathedral aisles to echo the hermit
thrush, or to awe the intruder. There will be an end of hardwood wilderness
large enough for a few days’ skiing or hiking without crossing a road. The
forest primeval, in this region, will henceforward be a figure of speech.”

For too long, we allowed the issues of old-growth forests and roadless areas
to serve as poster children for both sides of the conflict industry. In the
not-so-distant past, old trees were viewed as “overmature” or “decadent”
and targeted for cutting because of their high economic values. Today,
national forests contain our last remaining sizable blocks of old-growth
forest — a remnant of America’s original landscape. In the future, we will
celebrate the fact that national forests serve as a reservoir for our last
remaining old-growth forests and their associated ecological and social
values.

In 1989, Chief Dale Robertson issued an old-growth policy statement. Chief
Robertson’s policy, issued in the midst of a controversial debate over
spotted owl protection in the Pacific Northwest, called for standard
definitions and inventories of old growth by forest type. The definitions
were largely completed, although some might need revision based on new
science and new information. New science and technology allows us to map and
inventory the remaining old-growth forests with more accuracy and precision.

It is time we revised and strengthened Chief Robertson’s old-growth policy.
In the future, the Forest Service will manage old-growth forests specifically
to maintain and enhance old-growth values and characteristics. We will
develop manual direction that directs individual forests to:

Inventory and map remaining old-growth forests;

Protect, sustain and enhance existing old-growth forests as an element of
ecosystem diversity;

Plan for old-growth within a landscape context, extending beyond forest
boundaries;

Determine the extent, pattern and character of old-growth in the past — prior
to European contact and, potentially, at the time the area entered the
National Forest System; and

Project forward in time the amount, location and patterns of old growth
envisioned under alternative management options.

I will anticipate the critics’ charge that protecting old growth somehow
translates into an abandonment of multiple use and active management.

In fact, the opposite is true. In 2000, we had our worst fire season in
years. In response, we developed a strategy to demonstrate how appropriate
active management — prescribed fire, thinning and other mechanical treatments
— can enhance ecosystem health and resiliency in fire-adapted forests where
fire has been excluded. Many million acres of already roaded areas in
national forests are at risk from uncharacteristic fire effects that can
threaten communities, water quality, soils and habitat. This is where we must
focus our work.

What we do not need to do to accomplish our stewardship responsibilities is
to harvest old-growth trees. In some cases, when old-growth resources and
values are threatened by the risk of uncharacteristic fire effects, we might
choose to carefully thin and burn understory vegetation while leaving older,
larger trees intact. Restoration will focus on the already roaded and managed
portions of our landscape. That is where the risk is greatest to communities,
municipal watersheds and habitat for threatened and endangered species.

We will work with local communities to prioritize and implement restoration
projects. That means local jobs. It also means a new way of doing business, a
changing focus for our timber program. In the future, timber harvest on
national forests will serve as a tool for protecting watersheds, for creating
habitat for threatened and endangered species, for restoring our ailing
ecosystems to health, for protecting communities.

Taking the long view, our central challenge in the coming millennium will be
to demonstrate our resolve to protecting roadless areas and old-growth
forests while building support for the need to restore fire-dependent
landscapes. In the process, we can diminish the controversy surrounding
national forest management, provide more jobs and more wood fiber through
restoration, and build a constituency for active management based on
scientific and ecologically conservative principles.

Thanks for being here today.