[at-l] How is the in Sil Shelters in buggy realms?

--- Kenneth Knight <krk@mail.speakeasy.org> wrote:
> I'd rather start earlier than later. I would also
> much prefer to use my Sil Shelter instead of the
> Stephenson tent since it's two pounds lighter.

Split P and I used a Sil shelter from about Buena
Vista, VA to around Glencliff, NH. I can't say that
we used it often as we tended to take advantage of
the shelters mostly. But, we bought around 7 yards
of no-see-um, folded it in half, and had it stitched
down one side, forming a sort-of conical shape. We
put the no-see-um between the sil fabric and the
hiking pole. The hiking pole "top" went into
the corner where the stitched side and folded side
come together. So, the folded end was towards the door
and the stitched side extended from the hiking pole
to the backend of the tarp down the centerline.
We were able to extend the side of the no-see-um
taco to the sides of the tarp around us. Kept the
bugs out but it got kind of annoying since the
taco literally laid on top of us. I think this
problem could be worked out with some experimentation.
Now head nets or the little no-see-um head "tents"
could work but we didn't want to be forced to stay
zipped up in our bags especially since this was the
summer. Whether this adds the 2 lbs. that you're
trying to shed...<shrug>...but our pack weights
were around 18 and 22 lbs respectively with food
and water.

Sorry for the length but its hard to put visuals in
words sometimes.

sometimes Ben, sometimes Turbo Turtle