[at-l] guide books

Billie H. Cleek wrote:

> I'm considering what books/maps combination to buy.

I cut / ripped pages out and only carried what was needed to the next
point.  I kept the books in the bounce box.

I carried pages for the companion, maps, data book for mileage info and
some planning, and also the state by state guidebooks that you can get
with the maps.   I know a lot of others don't agree that they ( the
state books ) are worth it, but I found myself using them constantly -
especially for water and campsites.  There are a LOT more water sources
& potential tentsites listed in the state guidebooks than are in the
databook.  Much more discussion about what you are seeing from that
viewpoint and whats down those mysterious blue blazes - often unmarked
water sources, but not always.  There were sections where others went
dry and complained about no water, when I was hydrated and happy cuz I
knew to walk 20 yards down that side trail to a spring box.  Also, it
was handy to have written directions telling me just where to look for
the water, even in established locations.  The databook just says theres
water. It doesn't tell you where and if its not obviously marked you can
spend a lot of time wandering about searching.

If you rip out the pages, all together, databook & guidbook pages per
section I doubt were over a couple ounces.  At any point, I usually had
1-2 databook pages, 2-3 companion ones, and ohhh maybe ~15-20? of the
others, which are very small half-sized pages.  Every night I let
someone use the old ones as firestarter.

Is the ATC still having that special where you buy the books & maps for
the price of the maps??

Cheerio