[at-l] Drilling & trees, etc...

Ben states >> Incidentally, my "qualifications" are in the field of
human ecology within cultural anthropology. I studied
how human groupings or cultures conceptualize and
interact with nature. And when I say "interact" I
mean how their decisions, actions, and technology
(their tools to implement their decisions and actions)
are influenced by their frame of reference or
conceptualization of "nature."  I don't say this
to be snooty. I only took to this "education" because
I have interest in why certain human cultures
act the way they do towards nature. <<

Ben through your studies, I'm sure your aware of several human civilizations
that have overrun their environments by consuming all the surrounding
resources, and ultimately collapse in to social disorder. In a few short
years they dwindle from a great power to a few groups of disorganize tribes.

I see no reason to believe that just because we've achieved a high
technological state where we're able to do more with less, that we won't at
some point suffer the same fate as our fore fathers. We are not that
biologically or emotionally different. We have those same hidden and often
uncontrollable forces driving us.

We like to dance around with the vague illusions that we are somehow in
control of both our environments and ourselves.  You ask for discussion of
consumption vs. production, well lets make it a bit more esoteric and talk
about who we are. Why do we continue to do what we do, when all logic and
reason begs us to alter our ways?

I believe that someday the bubble with burst. That someday all we know will
be turned upside down. I don't necessarily thing that is a bad thing. I
guess many would consider it a disaster. But then again many believe that
man is the ultimate creation of God. Never to be surpassed. Maybe, or maybe
we represent just another monkey on a long chain.

I won't take this farther for fear that I'll be the first to be wrung far
and wide from this list. Only to have my soul wonder the Internet in
perpetuity looking for a suitable AT resting place.

In the meantime I'll crawl back into my hole, promising to continue working
at home and trying not to further tarnish my image as the Ugly Consumptive
American.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
www.fallingwater.com/pct2000