[at-l] aches and pains

You are talking about 2 substances. Glucosamine Sulfate (usually) has
been used in vetenary medicine for years in large animals for
arthritis. Use in humans has been growing for many years, with some
excellent studies demonstrating benefit for many with cartilage injury
regarding level of function, although only modest improvement in pain.
Usual dosage in humans is 1500 mg daily (500 mg tabs). A month's supply
usually costs about $8-10, unless you get it from Home Shopping
Network, Amway, or other expensive vendor. (I refer patients to Big
Lots, Sam's, Costco, Wally World, etc. This could theoretically inhibit
insulin, but this is not seen clinically (from my reading).

Chondroitin is another chemical touted to repair cartilage. I have not
seen any peer reviewed literature (I don't read all the stuff I could)
showing additional benefit over glucosamine. Dosage is similar, with it
sold as a combination with glucosamine. The price for a month is
usually around $24-28.

If used, it should be taken routinely for at least 6 weeks before
making any judgement about benefit. Adverse effects are rare -
essentially you are taking predigested cartilage. These are not
substitutes for anti-inflammatory agents, nor are these likely to
assist arthritis due to auto-immune disorders, infection or acute
injury. Hence, you should discuss with a real world doc.

I give it to my 13 year old boxer, along with aspirin in cheese or sour
creme. She tells me it is helpful for her. YMMV

Bill...