[at-l] Hypothermia Victim

I was at mnt. leconte the night before.  It was the worse weather
conditions I've ever experienced.  I can understand how this could
happen.  I've never realized that freezing was a suicide option, until I
was talking with a local about this guy's death.  It either has to be
that, or, the guy was *ridiculously* unprepared. (i'm being nice here).
it would have been extremely difficult to not realize the trail
conditions were bad.  Even worse to set out on an evening hike without a
flashlight and proper gear.  I am very much aware that the temps drop
drastically after sunset; in any conditions.  we'll never know the
*real* reasons; maybe he was upset and not thinking clearly.  This
incident does go to show just how valuable life is and how important it
is to be prepared for the worst of conditions.  some day soon I'll write
a "lessons learned" trip report on my hike.

on another note, I'm glad to hear the care taker let that couple stay
inside a lodge building.  I got there too late (after dark) to find
him.  My only thought was to get to shelter, get out of the wet clothes,
and drink LOTS of hot liquids.  I didn't find the care taker until after
I set up camp in the park shelter and was stumbling around for the water
source.  That guy is REALLY nice.  he brought me a thermos of HOT coffee
at 8 am to the shelter and to check  on me.  I wish there was some way
to properly thank him.

t.