[at-l] Re: Tablecloth VBL

It is one of those things that don't make sense to me either, but
apparently works. The idea is that you will sweat, the sweat will
evaporate, and you will lose heat consequently. Theoretically, VBLs work by
containing the sweat and limiting how much the covered anatomical part will
sweat further. I've used VB socks and have been impressed. You must have a
lining between the plastic and the skin, and it must be removed and allowed
to dry some each night - or at least exchanged with a dryer liner. It isn't
a matter of simply packing Saran Wrap and wrapping up each morning
(although that can be an okay burn cover).

The Stephenson tent folks have the most info on the idea. The BPL list
periodically brings it up. It still seems strange to me, but limited winter
walking in VB socks have kept me almost uncomfortably toasty warm.

OrangeBug