[at-l] post thru-hike aches and pains

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:50:26 -0500 Debbie_Smith@millipore.com writes:
> until
> Maine.  In Maine I started having some hip problems.  I think it was
> due to

Same here,except it was knee problems and not hip problems.  I used to
get what I call the "rice crispy effect". My knees would go snap, crackle
and pop in the morning.  I did not take much time off between Delaware
Water Gap and Katahdin. (Actually, I did not take any zero mileage
days.). I think taking a day off or two would have helped.... (And it is
mental note for my future long distance hiking...)

> day I sit in the office).  I haven't had any 'permanent' damage to

My knees bothered me fairly often until I did the Long Trail in '99.
Since then, my knees have only sporadically bothered me.

Lesson learned?  My pack is lighter (not that it was that heavy to begin
with...), and most importantly, will take  a day off or two rather than
hike every day for 2 1/2 mos. :O

The true harvest of my life is intangible... a little star-dust caught, a
segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
-- -Thoreau
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.