[at-l] Year End Survey

Gary, it is all bad/good. Standing Indian is your first 5K+ hill, after
having all the GA PUDS and the nasty welcome trail that NC brings. Then
the summit on SI will just reward the heck out of you. When you sit
down, you will be surprised to find calves the size of hams attached to
your body.

Mt. Albert is a rock climb, memorable after walking along cliff faces
for an hour. Pay attention to the weather and take the blue blaze for
any risk of ice or lightning. Or take an early day and wait to do Mt A
in the AM. If you have legs for it, climb the fire tower and enjoy one
of the best views anywhere.

Then get ready to have your socks knocked off on the bald just north of
Winding Stair Gap. It is worth the walk away from the trail to summit,
again for a great view. My dream would be to have a sled/disk and 6
inches of snow on that hill.

The the climb up Wesser and the old stone fire tower. Nice. Wayah Bald
is incredible. And the walk down to Fontana is a great reward. The only
better reward/temptation is the cheeseburger smell of NOC as you
approach.

Ah, Gary, you are in for a treat! I'm reading each night my path
between in Newfound Gap and Sam's Gap for March. I hope I make it at
least to Allen Gap, and pray for a good day on Max Patch. Nordic Trak
is fired up, and I've borrowed my wife's step machine (low tech version
of a stair master). Feel those quads burn!

Bill....