  From: DaRedhead@aol.com=20
  To: at-l@backcountry.net=20
  Sent: Monday, January 01, 2001 1:07 PM
  Subject: [at-l] More of the Trip Report

  So, we hit the trail late, about 2 or so. (this is approximate, as we =
forgot=20
  the watch)=20

  Decided to stop at the first "approved" campsite, about 4 miles in.  =
It was=20
  sunny, balmy even, no snow on the ground - we zipped thru those miles =
in=20
  about an hour and a half, if that. (mostly downhill, by the way <g>)  =
So we=20
  laughed at the weather gods - that was a big mistake.  Had a nice =
dinner,=20
  camped by the river.  Played some dice.  Enjoyed being out there.  =
Ahhhh -=20
  the life.  That night, his repaired thermarest was unrepaired, but he =
had a=20
  zero bag, so he was just fine.  I was using a borrowed bag of unknown =
rating,=20
  supplemented by a fleece bag liner.  I was just fine.  Next day - I =
gotta=20
  say, we are unlikely hiking partners.  He is tall, I am short. He is =
in=20
  shape. I am not.  The first two miles of up were mild by most =
standards, but=20
  they kicked my butt.  If he ever got aggravated at my slow pace, he =
was a=20
  gentleman about it and didn't call me names, ! or! ever indicate in =
any way that=20
  it was a pain to hike so slow.  (oh yea - the lekis performed REALLY =
well. =20
  Couldn't have hiked without them.)=20

  The trail was pretty boring by most standards.  We definitely picked =
the=20
  wrong one for our first smokies hike.  But anyway, there was snow on =
the=20
  ground now, and it made the going slower even than it was for me, =
which was=20
  already slow.  Not deep enough to require special foot gear, though.  =
But man=20
  it made one mile seem like 2 or more.  Had no problems with being too =
hot or=20
  too cold at all while hiking.  By the time we got to where we were =
staying=20
  that night, the temps had dropped unbelievably, and after a quick hot =
drink,=20
  we climbed into our bags for a little nap before dinner.  My tent also =

  performed well, but now I know why it's a 3 and a HALF season - and we =
were=20
  hiking in the half season it wasn't.  The wind was blowing so hard by =
the=20
  water it was hard to keep it from blowing away while we staked it =
down. (glad=20
  I brought the stakes - I rarely use them as it's a freestanding tent). =

  So then I got wimpy.  I was shivering uncontrollably even in the =
sleeping bag=20
  with everything I owned on.  I got scared.  I started thinking about =
that guy=20
  that just died recently from hypothermia, and I truly got scared.  I =
think I=20
  said something like "Tom, please don't let me die."  I wimped.  Tom =
was a=20
  saint.  He got up, went out side, cooked dinner, took care of all the=20
  securing chores (including putting the food in a cage thing, fighting =
gale=20
  force winds to get there) then let me wear his down jacket on top of=20
  everything else I had on.  So I was warm enough to sleep.  He, on the =
other=20
  hand, even in a zero bag, because his pad wasn't inflated, was too =
cold to=20
  sleep most of the night.  The temps were REALLY low, single digit. =
(you were=20
  right, woodelf).=20

  So the next morning - it was so cold that water practically froze =
before you=20
  could get it from the stream to the tent area.  Realizing that we =
didn't have=20
  the right stuff to keep both of us warm for another night like the =
previous,=20
  we decided to hike back towards where we started.  The sun came out, =
and it=20
  looked to be a decent day, lots of snow on the ground, but probably at =
least=20
  20 degrees out.  Stopped for a break, and he cooked some chocolate =
cherry=20
  cobler for a mid morning snack.  Yum.  If I thought the trail was =
kicking my=20
  butt the day before, I was mistaken.  It was REALLY kicking my butt =
now, and=20
  the temps continued to drop after noon.  Tom continued to be =
supportive,=20
  taking what for him were baby steps so he didn't get too far ahead of =
me. (he=20
  may never hike with me again, I've never hiked that slow in my life)  =
We hit=20
  about 4 miles before the end, and it was late in the day, an! d ! I =
was ready to=20
  risk camping again.  I really didn't think I could go 4 more miles, =
most=20
  likely the end in the dark.  It was an effort just to step over a low =
lying=20
  tree on the trail by then.  But Tom, being the wise one, knew that we =
were=20
  courting risk by staying out another night with inadequate =
gear/clothing for=20
  such low temps, said lets do it.  He took my tent, which lightened my =
pack by=20
  6 pounds.  Man, what a difference 6 pounds makes.  But I was still =
sluggish,=20
  and it was mostly uphill to the trailhead.  At times I wanted to just =
sit=20
  down in the middle of the trail and cry.  Then we ran across three =
wild=20
  boars.  We clanged Leki's and yelled - they ran.  Remind me to ask =
what=20
  you're supposed to do when you see a wild boar.  I think I'm really =
glad they=20
  ran.  That gave me the adrenaline push I needed to keep slogging =
upward . . .=20
  so much that we actually made it bac! k ! to the vehicle right before =
6, as it=20
  was getting dark, even at my very slow pace.  That was the longest =
10.6 miles=20
  I've ever hiked in my life.=20

  So it's freezing out, its dark - we get down the five miles of the =
road to=20
  nowhere - and the forest service gate is locked.  We were on the wrong =
side=20
  of it.  No emergency numbers to be found on the smokies map, and the =
cel=20
  phone was fading in and out, the cold wasn't kind to it.  Got =
recordings at=20
  every number we tried, finally I called 911, who gave me the number to =
the=20
  Bryson City dispatcher.  I explained our dilemna, and on New Years eve =
some=20
  fine Park employee came up there to let us out, accompanied by a local =
cop. =20
  I am very grateful to them for responding so quickly.  I doubt we =
would have=20
  froze to death, but we could only run the heater til it ran out of =
gas!  He=20
  asked to see our permit, but as we rummaged for it in freezing temps, =
he said=20
  never mind, and just asked which station we filled it out at.  What a =
great=20
  guy :)=20

  So - lessons learned? Water freezes really fast in those conditions, =
and I=20
  should have done something on Saturday to keep the water from =
freezing,=20
  instead of waiting til Sunday to figure it out.  A down jacket is not =
a nice=20
  thing to have - it is essential in cold weather backpacking.  Have a =
backup=20
  pad in case of thermarest failure.  Have a 0 degree bag.  Period.  =
Don't=20
  forget your watch.  Hiking in snow slows you down, as does the cold.  =
If you=20
  normally hike 2 miles an hour, plan on half that.  And plan on it =
being=20
  harder.  Lots harder.  Pick a trail with some views or decent scenary. =
=20
  "Moderate" means easy for an in shape hiker, difficult for an out of =
shape=20
  hiker :)=20

  The liners I wore with my thorlos were a good idea - I have no =
blisters, even=20
  though I only had about 10 miles on those boots.  Oh yea - gaiters =
were=20
  essential too.  My feet stayed perfectly happy and dry the whole hike. =
 The=20
  whole layering thing worked fine, I was never cold except that one =
night.  =20

  So - it was an adventure.  A learning experience.  We learned what we =
did=20
  right, what we did wrong, what we had that we needed, and what we =
didn't have=20
  that we needed.=20

  Only 20 something miles instead of the orginally planned 34 - but hey =
- we=20
  got three days in the woods in the winter, and that was great.  Thanks =
for=20
  all the advice (and thanks for the loaning of stuff, Kahley! Couldn't =
have=20
  done it without it).=20

  The Redhead=20

------=_NextPart_000_018F_01C074A9.14EF5C60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#d8d0c8>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have to come out of lurking to =
observe that isn't=20
it funny how us hikers can have a trip that sounds terrible on paper but =
we=20
can't wait to go back out and do it again - ASAP?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>RET in Sunny (but cold) =
Fla</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:DaRedhead@aol.com"=20
  title=3DDaRedhead@aol.com>DaRedhead@aol.com</A> </DIV>
href=3D"mailto:at-l@backcountry.net"=20
  title=3Dat-l@backcountry.net>at-l@backcountry.net</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, January 01, 2001 =
1:07=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [at-l] More of the =
Trip=20
  Report</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT size=3D2>So, we hit =
the trail=20
  late, about 2 or so. (this is approximate, as we forgot <BR>the watch) =

  <BR><BR>Decided to stop at the first "approved" campsite, about 4 =
miles in.=20
  &nbsp;It was <BR>sunny, balmy even, no snow on the ground - we zipped =
thru=20
  those miles in <BR>about an hour and a half, if that. (mostly =
downhill, by the=20
  way &lt;g&gt;) &nbsp;So we <BR>laughed at the weather gods - that was =
a big=20
  mistake. &nbsp;Had a nice dinner, <BR>camped by the river. =
&nbsp;Played some=20
  dice. &nbsp;Enjoyed being out there. &nbsp;Ahhhh - <BR>the life. =
&nbsp;That=20
  night, his repaired thermarest was unrepaired, but he had a <BR>zero =
bag, so=20
  he was just fine. &nbsp;I was using a borrowed bag of unknown rating,=20
  <BR>supplemented by a fleece bag liner. &nbsp;I was just fine. =
&nbsp;Next day=20
  - I gotta <BR>say, we are unlikely hiking partners. &nbsp;He is tall, =
I am=20
  short. He is in <BR>shape. I am not. &nbsp;The first two miles of up =
were mild=20
  by most standards, but <BR>they kicked my butt. &nbsp;If he ever got=20
  aggravated at my slow pace, he was a <BR>gentleman about it and didn't =
call me=20
  names, ! or! ever indicate in any way that <BR>it was a pain to hike =
so slow.=20
  &nbsp;(oh yea - the lekis performed REALLY well. &nbsp;<BR>Couldn't =
have hiked=20
  without them.) <BR><BR>The trail was pretty boring by most standards. =
&nbsp;We=20
  definitely picked the <BR>wrong one for our first smokies hike. =
&nbsp;But=20
  anyway, there was snow on the <BR>ground now, and it made the going =
slower=20
  even than it was for me, which was <BR>already slow. &nbsp;Not deep =
enough to=20
  require special foot gear, though. &nbsp;But man <BR>it made one mile =
seem=20
  like 2 or more. &nbsp;Had no problems with being too hot or <BR>too =
cold at=20
  all while hiking. &nbsp;By the time we got to where we were staying =
<BR>that=20
  night, the temps had dropped unbelievably, and after a quick hot =
drink, <BR>we=20
  climbed into our bags for a little nap before dinner. &nbsp;My tent =
also=20
  <BR>performed well, but now I know why it's a 3 and a HALF season - =
and we=20
  were <BR>hiking in the half season it wasn't. &nbsp;The wind was =
blowing so=20
  hard by the <BR>water it was hard to keep it from blowing away while =
we staked=20
  it down. (glad <BR>I brought the stakes - I rarely use them as it's a=20
  freestanding tent). <BR><BR>So then I got wimpy. &nbsp;I was shivering =

  uncontrollably even in the sleeping bag <BR>with everything I owned =
on.=20
  &nbsp;I got scared. &nbsp;I started thinking about that guy <BR>that =
just died=20
  recently from hypothermia, and I truly got scared. &nbsp;I think I =
<BR>said=20
  something like "Tom, please don't let me die." &nbsp;I wimped. =
&nbsp;Tom was a=20
  <BR>saint. &nbsp;He got up, went out side, cooked dinner, took care of =
all the=20
  <BR>securing chores (including putting the food in a cage thing, =
fighting gale=20
  <BR>force winds to get there) then let me wear his down jacket on top =
of=20
  <BR>everything else I had on. &nbsp;So I was warm enough to sleep. =
&nbsp;He,=20
  on the other <BR>hand, even in a zero bag, because his pad wasn't =
inflated,=20
  was too cold to <BR>sleep most of the night. &nbsp;The temps were =
REALLY low,=20
  single digit. (you were <BR>right, woodelf). <BR><BR>So the next =
morning - it=20
  was so cold that water practically froze before you <BR>could get it =
from the=20
  stream to the tent area. &nbsp;Realizing that we didn't have <BR>the =
right=20
  stuff to keep both of us warm for another night like the previous, =
<BR>we=20
  decided to hike back towards where we started. &nbsp;The sun came out, =
and it=20
  <BR>looked to be a decent day, lots of snow on the ground, but =
probably at=20
  least <BR>20 degrees out. &nbsp;Stopped for a break, and he cooked =
some=20
  chocolate cherry <BR>cobler for a mid morning snack. &nbsp;Yum. =
&nbsp;If I=20
  thought the trail was kicking my <BR>butt the day before, I was =
mistaken.=20
  &nbsp;It was REALLY kicking my butt now, and <BR>the temps continued =
to drop=20
  after noon. &nbsp;Tom continued to be supportive, <BR>taking what for =
him were=20
  baby steps so he didn't get too far ahead of me. (he <BR>may never =
hike with=20
  me again, I've never hiked that slow in my life) &nbsp;We hit =
<BR>about 4=20
  miles before the end, and it was late in the day, an! d ! I was ready =
to=20
  <BR>risk camping again. &nbsp;I really didn't think I could go 4 more =
miles,=20
  most <BR>likely the end in the dark. &nbsp;It was an effort just to =
step over=20
  a low lying <BR>tree on the trail by then. &nbsp;But Tom, being the =
wise one,=20
  knew that we were <BR>courting risk by staying out another night with=20
  inadequate gear/clothing for <BR>such low temps, said lets do it. =
&nbsp;He=20
  took my tent, which lightened my pack by <BR>6 pounds. &nbsp;Man, what =
a=20
  difference 6 pounds makes. &nbsp;But I was still sluggish, <BR>and it =
was=20
  mostly uphill to the trailhead. &nbsp;At times I wanted to just sit =
<BR>down=20
  in the middle of the trail and cry. &nbsp;Then we ran across three =
wild=20
  <BR>boars. &nbsp;We clanged Leki's and yelled - they ran. &nbsp;Remind =
me to=20
  ask what <BR>you're supposed to do when you see a wild boar. &nbsp;I =
think I'm=20
  really glad they <BR>ran. &nbsp;That gave me the adrenaline push I =
needed to=20
  keep slogging upward . . . <BR>so much that we actually made it bac! k =
! to=20
  the vehicle right before 6, as it <BR>was getting dark, even at my =
very slow=20
  pace. &nbsp;That was the longest 10.6 miles <BR>I've ever hiked in my =
life.=20
  <BR><BR>So it's freezing out, its dark - we get down the five miles of =
the=20
  road to <BR>nowhere - and the forest service gate is locked. &nbsp;We =
were on=20
  the wrong side <BR>of it. &nbsp;No emergency numbers to be found on =
the=20
  smokies map, and the cel <BR>phone was fading in and out, the cold =
wasn't kind=20
  to it. &nbsp;Got recordings at <BR>every number we tried, finally I =
called=20
  911, who gave me the number to the <BR>Bryson City dispatcher. &nbsp;I =

  explained our dilemna, and on New Years eve some <BR>fine Park =
employee came=20
  up there to let us out, accompanied by a local cop. &nbsp;<BR>I am =
very=20
  grateful to them for responding so quickly. &nbsp;I doubt we would =
have=20
  <BR>froze to death, but we could only run the heater til it ran out of =
gas!=20
  &nbsp;He <BR>asked to see our permit, but as we rummaged for it in =
freezing=20
  temps, he said <BR>never mind, and just asked which station we filled =
it out=20
  at. &nbsp;What a great <BR>guy :) <BR><BR>So - lessons learned? Water =
freezes=20
  really fast in those conditions, and I <BR>should have done something =
on=20
  Saturday to keep the water from freezing, <BR>instead of waiting til =
Sunday to=20
  figure it out. &nbsp;A down jacket is not a nice <BR>thing to have - =
it is=20
  essential in cold weather backpacking. &nbsp;Have a backup <BR>pad in =
case of=20
  thermarest failure. &nbsp;Have a 0 degree bag. &nbsp;Period. =
&nbsp;Don't=20
  <BR>forget your watch. &nbsp;Hiking in snow slows you down, as does =
the cold.=20
  &nbsp;If you <BR>normally hike 2 miles an hour, plan on half that. =
&nbsp;And=20
  plan on it being <BR>harder. &nbsp;Lots harder. &nbsp;Pick a trail =
with some=20
  views or decent scenary. &nbsp;<BR>"Moderate" means easy for an in =
shape=20
  hiker, difficult for an out of shape <BR>hiker :) <BR><BR>The liners I =
wore=20
  with my thorlos were a good idea - I have no blisters, even <BR>though =
I only=20
  had about 10 miles on those boots. &nbsp;Oh yea - gaiters were =
<BR>essential=20
  too. &nbsp;My feet stayed perfectly happy and dry the whole hike. =
&nbsp;The=20
  <BR>whole layering thing worked fine, I was never cold except that one =
night.=20
  &nbsp; <BR><BR>So - it was an adventure. &nbsp;A learning experience. =
&nbsp;We=20
  learned what we did <BR>right, what we did wrong, what we had that we =
needed,=20
  and what we didn't have <BR>that we needed. <BR><BR>Only 20 something =
miles=20
  instead of the orginally planned 34 - but hey - we <BR>got three days =
in the=20
  woods in the winter, and that was great. &nbsp;Thanks for <BR>all the =
advice=20
  (and thanks for the loaning of stuff, Kahley! Couldn't have <BR>done =
it=20
  without it). <BR><BR>The Redhead</FONT> =
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_018F_01C074A9.14EF5C60--