[at-l] Tuscarora Trail

--part1_56.54c5bc2.27826d96_boundary

In a message dated 01/01/2001 5:32:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
garyticknor@starpower.net writes:

> Please, Cyn, more details! How many days, where did you camp, how was
> water? Did you spot a car at Cedar Creek? How were the road walks? Did
> you stay at Little Crease Shelter? Rocky country, isn't it?

1.  5 days of walking

2.  Camped at the following places:
Veach Gap Trail off of VA 613
Elizabeth Furnace Campground
Hoteled it in Woodstock

3.  Water was frozen solid at the water gauging stations at Mill Run, open
and running at almost all other creeks and streams.  The frozen leaves and
sticks aided in one stream fording.   Water was open and running at Little
Crease Shelter.

4.  Yes, we spotted a car at Cedar Creek

5.  Road walks:
Tractor trailers careening towards ya at Rte 340 with a deeply sloping
shoulder and no where to hide before VA 628 made for an interesting walk.
Nice Wine Vineyard on VA 652, unfortunately it looked like they were closed
for the holiday season or we would have stopped for a tour and wine tasting
to sample their finest potable.

6.  No, we didn't stay at LCS.  That day we walked from VA 613 to Elizabeth
Furnace State Park.

7.  Yes, it's Rocky country along the ridges.  Renamed the Tuska-ROCK-A
Trail.  Hey if the rocks didn't trip ya, the briars and hawthorns made it a
pleasant stroll. Looks like rattler country in warmer weather along the
ridges.  The trail was either amazingly perfect and nicely graded or
overgrown with briars and tons of blowdowns.  The section along Little North
Mountain looked like a fire had burned through recently.  There were numerous
blow downs in this area as well.  But these blowdowns pale in comparison to
those we encountered along the Allegheny Trail at Shavers Mtn.

Cin

--part1_56.54c5bc2.27826d96_boundary