[at-l] Florida Trail trip report (long)

Saturday, December 23

Arrived at Suwannee State Park at 4:00 p.m.  Found out the trail doesn't go
through the main part of the park on the south side of the river, so we went
to a highway where the map showed that the trail crossed.  We hiked about an
hour until we arrived at the river, although we were on a bluff not close to
the water.  Set up our tent (the hard top to our new tent) and went to bed at
6:45 (we'd gotten up at 3 a.m that morning for our trip.  Slept well except
that I kept sliding into Dan.  We heard beaver tails slapping the water early
Sat. night and early Sun. morning.

Sunday, December 24

Hiked along the Suwannee River all day.  The weather was a bit chilly but
sunny and dry.  We decided to eat our Christmas dinner tonight so we wouldn't
have to carry it. There were beautiful white beaches along the river, and
large cypress and live oak trees.   We stopped at one about 1 p.m. to have
lunch and clean up, on the Alapaha River, a tributary.  The trail follows it
upstream a short distance to a bridge, then back to the Suwannee.  It was
chilly, but warm enough to clean up a little.  That's nicer than staying
dirty all week.  I combed out my hair and fixed it a bit to make me feel more
human.

After some road walking on a trail re-route, we did met two men in a pickup
who were taking pictures of the big cypresses and the Holton Creek rise
(headwaters).  That was fascinating.  A rather still looking pond was
actually the beginning of Holton Creek.  It has an average discharge of 288
cfs.  A hundred yards downstream the creek was already 10 feet wide and
flowing swiftly.  When the trail returned to the Suwannee River, we camped on
the trail on a narrow, flat, sandy top of the river bank.  It was like a
river levee, and like many other places on the river, the water behind the
"levee" drained away from the river into low areas where water would collect
and cypress trees grew.  But those low areas are dry now.  We ate our
Christmas dinner...canned turkey, stove top stuffing, craisins, mashed
potatoes, three little pies (cherry, blueberry and apple) and chocolates.
MMMMM!

Monday, December 25

We continued hiking along the Suwannee.  It was beautiful.  There were white
sandy beaches along the edge of the river.   In some places the river bank
was a vertical wall of eroded, rough limestone.  We thought we might stop to
use the phone (Christmas Day) at the campground near highway 129, but it was
on the other side of the river and we weren't certain how far it was from the
trail, so we skipped it.  We crossed under the highway at that point.  The
Florida Trail stays near the river but also passes through the backyards of
new houses in a development area.  That night we found a beautiful beach to
camp on.  Dan set up the tent and then built a fire.   Instead of going right
to bed because we were cold and tired we sat up for an hour or so and visited
by the warmth of the fire.  That was special.  The noise of the interstate
was four trail miles ahead but only about .5 mile as the crow flies, and
could be heard from the trail.  Down on the beach it was quiet, with the
river bank blocking out the noise.

Tuesday, December 26

Today we are hiking 12 miles to White Springs, FL.  The carillon was playing
Christmas music and could be heard for 20 minutes before we arrived at the
Stephen Foster Culture Center.  We thought that the SFCC had cabins to stay
in but when we arrived there was only camping and it was still pretty chilly.
 We enjoyed visiting the culture center, which the trail passes through.
There was a small motel just outside the park which was reminiscent of the
hiker hotels on the AT.  It was small, old, but clean so we stayed.  I washed
out our stinkiest clothes and hung them in the room to dry.  They almost
didn't.   The one café in town closed at 2:30, so we had to quickly go to eat
without bathing which I didn't like.  But the food was good.  We decided to
Florida Trail is on the north bank of the Suwannee River to this point.  It
crosses to the south side in White Springs.  We have met no hikers or
backpackers in 3 days/50 miles.

Wednesday, December 27

Before leaving town we had a nice breakfast at the Country Café, and we
needed it because it was a long day, especially with the re-routes.  We ended
up hiking about 22 miles, starting out for the first few miles along the
south bank of the Suwannee River, but leaving the river for the last time
where a re-route begins.  The Big Shoals on the trail were not accessible
because the trail was routed away from there.  The long re-route was sparsely
blazed and difficult to follow.  Dan was using the old map and didn't see the
route that Jon Phipps had penciled in until later and many re-steps looking
for the trail.  We didn't have enough water to cook and when we finally found
water at Robinson Creek someone had thrown the carcasses of four deer in the
water.  Dan went upstream slightly to get some water, but it was difficult to
get.  He filtered out most of the leaves and sticks out with a bandana and
then we cooked with it.   We sat on the edge of the road to eat.  It was
actually hot today.  I hiked in the afternoon in shorts and a jog bra. I
think Dan said it was 76* on his thermometer.  That was the warmest it had
been all week.  It's been rather chilly up to that day.  Many hunters were in
the woods, and we used orange bandanas on our packs or heads.  We finally
reached a road at dark but didn't know where the West Tower campground was.
Dan decided we would walk down the road, although in the light of all our
many side trips that day I wasn't crazy about another one.  We found the
campground .2 miles to the south, with water and privy...nice.  Dan set up
the tent while I got water and cooked.  We were beat, but the temps were
still warm so it wasn't too bad.  We both slept well and didn't have to
cuddle too close to keep warm.

Thursday, December 28

We wanted to get up and out early that morning to cover the remaining 16.4
miles by 4 p.m., but couldn't because we were beat.  It had begun raining in
the night so we didn't hear the alarm at 6 a.m.  The stove wouldn't light,
but the caretaker heated water for our oatmeal for us.  We finally got
underway at 8:30 a.m., in a light rain and 60* temperature.  Around noon we
reached the one shelter in the 85 miles we hiked.  It's nice and spacious,
with a tin roof and no walls.  The MSR fired up this time after cleaning out
the sand.  We were almost finished with lunch when a group of about 10 scouts
arrived.  The rain came down harder after lunch, and the trail continued
through pine plantations and scrub palms of Osceola forest.  We saw three
wild turkeys today.  In order to meet our ride at Olustee Battlefield at 4
p.m., we decided to road walk on 250A for several miles.  We were having a
grand time in the rain, stomping in the puddles and splashing each other.  We
had just crossed I-10 when a friendly ranger stopped to talk and he suggested
that we stay on 250A to get there quicker.  Harry, our shuttle, drove up
while we were talking.  He had reached Olustee early, and came looking for
us.  We did not turn down the ride, and aborted the hike with 5 or 6 miles to
go.  This was a good move, because the rain soon increased.

As we hiked, we wondered if Nimblewill Nomad was ahead or behind us.  Later
we found out that when he reached a point near the GA/FL state line, he took
a break for Christmas.  Otherwise, we might have seen him.

This was a wonderful backpacking trip.  The river adds a certain charm that
was missing in our Christmas 1999 backpack on the Florida Trail in Ocala
National Forest.  We especially enjoyed the 50-mile stretch between Suwannee
River State Park and Steven Foster Culture Center.

Gutsy and Dan