[at-l] "Wanna-bes" feelings

previously posted:

<<<<It's not that they don't want to leave. It is much of having ties to
the Flatland and responsibilities that keep us bound here, and not free
for the walk. That is why the thru hike is so often a transition life
experience - between schools, between jobs, between marriages, between
work and death.
It may also be a lot like other discipleships - many are called by few
can answer.>>>

Thanx, Bill for putting that into words. Many of us simply dismiss the
idea of a thru hike because for us, we KNOW its not possible in the near
future. Parenting has many rewards, but certainly has many limitations.
Thats one reason why we enjoy communing with thru hikers on this list,
and at functions where many of them are together. It makes us FEEL a
small portion of what others were able to accomplish, because THEY
werent bound to home base. Please continue to be considerate and
tolerant of our questions, even if they seem stupid or silly. YOU are
all we have right now as far as a thru hike is concerned. It does strike
a small nerve when I hear comments like, "quit whining..if you want to
thru hike, then DO IT!" Thats a sad way of saying. " WE did it....so
what's YOUR problem." I dont want to hurt anyones feelings, just wanted
to say that it hurts a bit when those comments reach us "wanna-bes".
Hopefully, it will be my turn someday too. I hope my pride at completing
it does not set me apart from those who dream it.

Landslides

http://www.geocities.com/furtrappers/

To:            at-l@backcountry.net