Re: [at-l] "Real World" (was -look at me stunts and Goose Creek,etc)

oooh, that's really interesting.  i understand the disconnectedness thing.
i am so disconnected right now, and i don't think i want to connect with
this societal thing.  i agree that the trail is merely an approximation of
our connection with the natural world, but i think that our disconnectedness
to it is because of our own doing.  we need so much because we have created
that which we need.  hiking brings us closer because we ditch those things
and take only the bare necessities (food, clothing, shelter), thus giving us
a taste of freedom.  weekend and week-long hikes don't impact one the way a
6 month hike would because it's back to the "stuff" of modern humankind so
quickly, that you never forget what you had, and you never get the chance to
realize that you never missed it.

belcher