Re: [at-l] More Whisperlite input

Hey Red

I've been waiting for someone else to cover the issue of "O" rings; but if
they did, I missed it.

The only problems that I had with a wisperlite were "O" ring and cold
weather related.  I don't know enough to cover the physics of it, but from
time-to-time I would get a cracked or leaky "O" ring.

Most were at the pump to fuel bottle seal.  A couple were at the nettle
valve seal.  All were in cold weather.  All were easily fixable, if I could
see where the leak was.  Just replace the "O" ring.  However, on a couple of
occasions that meant waiting until morning and sunlight -- a cold supper at
a bit above 0* once.

I suspect some of the famous flare-up were from "O" ring leaks.

Maybe someone can advise how to prevent it.  All I can say is watch out for
it and, if it happens, kill the stove or clear out of the area, as
appropriate.

Chainsaw

BTW -- I second, third or maybe 37th the advice to practice at home before
you try it in the woods.

To:            at-l@backcountry.net