Re: [at-l] next round

Sounds like you might like the Backpacking Light list. Folks use all sorts
of things for weight from postal scales, food scales, and the like. I've
occasionally taken stuff to the local Kogers and weighed in produce.

There is no standard pack weight. There are packs that weigh in the 2 pound
range for 3000ci, as well as 8 pound plus packs (recent TNF packs come to
mind). Prices often go up on the lightest packs made from high tech
fabrics, although there are very inexpensive and light packs (such as
GVP4). Light weight often comes with gawdawful colors, lack of hip belts,
and shorter life span (for the pack). I have 2 packs, and always expect to
have at least 2. I will keep my TNF Beheamoth pack (about 4000ci and 8
pounds) for winter and sullen children, and use the Gregory Bombpack for
warmer weather and lighter loads (3000ci and around 4 pounds).

The pack can be dangerous. A large volume tempts you to load up and carry
more weight. The suspension may also want the additional weight for
comfort. You may be able to do with much less weight or volume,
occasionally both. I like using a compression sack for dry clothes and my
sleeping bag, but can be tough to fit into the Bombpack. It leaves the
Beheamoth almost empty.

Food seems to fit about 1 - 2 qt Ziplocks per day, for me. Less volume per
day if I am out for more than 4 days.

I like your idea of getting the pack last. Sometimes you can organize stuff
for the pack to use equipment. For instance, the GVP uses a ZRest as part
of the suspension. Makes sense if you are carrying a bunch of foam stuffing
between your pack and your back that it have a dual purpose.

OrangeBug

To:            AT-list <at-l@backcountry.net>