Re: [at-l] packs

can't help you on the pack, although i've heard only good things about the
osprey line.

> My next question is about food. The typical amount of food that
> thru-hikers seem to carry appears to be about 3-4 days worth. Is this
> right?

i usually carried about a week's worth of food because that's usually the
distance between my town stops.

Also, I plan to eat more in 3-4 days on the trail than I normally
> would while bacpacking, so I'm curious about what constitutes 3-4 days
> worth of food for a typical thru-hiker.

In picking out your food, remember this:  one package of oatmeal will not
satisfy you for breakfast.  Five will.

one granola bar, no matter how much pb you put on it will not satisfy you
for lunch.  Five will.

one package of lipton noodles may not satisfy you for dinner.  Two will.

snacks are your best friend.  always carry an inordinant amount of snacks.
Every day I ate a breakfast, a mid-morning snack, lunch, a mid-afternoon
snack, dinner, and sometimes a mid-night snack, if i was up late writing my
novella, entitled "my journal."  I think most thru-hikers say they carried
3-4 days worth of food because it is what they thought was a week's worth,
but it only lasted 3-4 days.  it's disgusting how hungry you get.

 And finally, what's do most of you use for a
> food bag? I've traditionally used my scuba mesh sack, but I'm thinking of
> grabbing something new for my thru-hike.

that's not too bad, but when you're bear bagging it and it rains, it kinda
sucks.  My food bag wasn't water proof and I suffered on a few occasions,
even though I'd reinforced everything with ziplocks.

belcherama ding dong

To:            at-l@backcountry.net