Re: [at-l] new years hiking in the smokies.

In a message dated 12/25/00 10:27:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
orangebug74@yahoo.com writes:

> This weather is even giving this section hiker a pause, trying to
> decide where/if to do a section early March. I refuse to complain about
> the precipitation that we desperately need, but I don't want to let fun
> get to be a gamble I can't afford to lose. (Blizzard '93 was St PAddy's
> day weekend.)

You can be sure we won't be gambling.  I'm eager for a winter hike, but not
to the point of stupidity.  If the AT is just too much, or the higher
elevations in general, we'll amend the hike to a lower elevation one, perhaps
not on the AT.  I want to pick up that section, sure.  But I'll be happy as
long as I'm backpacking, and snow would be nice.  I want adventure, but with
better than even odds I'll live thru it :)  I do agree that going further
North makes good sense.  Seems to be less intense weather wise that way.

The Redhead

The Redhead

multipart/alternative
  text/html