Re: [at-l] packs

"Billie H. Cleek" <cleek@csc.smsu.edu> wrote:

> Hey all. I'm planning on buying a new pack before I leave, and I went to
> a local gear store yesterday to scout out some possible contestants. Of
> course Dana and Gregory are high on the list, but I also found a pack that
> I've never really heard much about, but that I initially quite a bit. Has
> anyone used an Osprey? Have any comments on the brand? Any comments on
> specifics models?

I carried a Gregory Shasta. It was too heavy, though the suspension system
was very nice. I'd look at their Thru Hiker model if I were to carry another
Gregory. Service was excellent.

Osprey makes a good pack. There were a number of them out in 1999 but I've
never carried one.  Dana packs are over-rated in my book.

> My next question is about food. The typical amount of food that
> thru-hikers seem to carry appears to be about 3-4 days worth. Is this
> right? Also, I plan to eat more in 3-4 days on the trail than I normally
> would while bacpacking, so I'm curious about what constitutes 3-4 days
> worth of food for a typical thru-hiker. I'm 6'1", and weigh around 165. At

My food list and maildrop schedule are on my website at:

  http://paddler99.trailstories.com

and this will tell you exactly how many days of food I carried from where to
where. I carried way too much at times - even carrying food through towns
where I was staying. How dumb was that!

> least I THINK I weigh about 165; I stepped on a scale yesterday and
> apparently I now weigh 175. (I've never weighed more than 165, so I'm not
> sure the scale is right). And finally, what's do most of you use for a
> food bag? I've traditionally used my scuba mesh sack, but I'm thinking of
> grabbing something new for my thru-hike.

I used a heavy duty stuff sack and was glad I did. I did not get any
unwanted intruders in my bag - many were not so lucky. Don't use mesh - it's
way too easy for the mice to kamikaze down over the mouse-guard and grab the
mesh. They love that stuff - sort of the mice flying circus catch net ya'
know.

-p

--
Paddler